Skip to Main Content
Baker University logo

Baker University Library

How long can I borrow materials from Collins Library?

People not affiliated with the university can borrow materials from the library with a Community Borrower Card (available upon request). Most materials can be borrowed for an initial period of four weeks and can be renewed once.  Exceptions include the following:

  • Audio-Visual Resources (DVDs, video tapes, and audiocassettes) can be borrowed for one week.
  • Materials on reserve for a course can be borrowed for three hours.

The following materials can only be used in the library:

  • Periodicals
  • Reference Books
  • Music CDs
  • Phonodiscs
  • Theses
  • Rare Books

Baker University faculty (including emeriti), staff and students are the primary clientele of the library and have the highest priority when needs for materials conflict.

Are my library records confidential?

The Baker University Library upholds the principle of the library users’ right to privacy and confidentiality of personally identifiable information in accordance with federal and state laws and institutional policies.

We keep only the personally identifiable information that is absolutely necessary for the operation of the library – for lending or providing access to library materials, providing library services such as reference, interlibrary loan and workshops. We regularly purge, delete, or shred information that is no longer necessary.

Student, faculty and staff borrower records are supplied by the University administrative systems and updated on a regular basis to ensure accuracy. You may review your records upon presentation of proper identification. Non-Baker library users may also review their records upon presentation of proper identification.

Only the Chief Information Officer is authorized to receive or comply with requests from law enforcement officers and to confer with University legal counsel before determining the proper response. No records will be released without a subpoena, warrant, court order or other investigatory document, issued by a court of competent jurisdiction that shows good cause and is in proper form.

Can I request materials through interlibrary loan?

Baker University provides interlibrary loan as a service for students, staff, and faculty.  Unfortunately, we are unable to provide this service for the general public. We encourage you to visit your local public library for assistance requesting materials from other libraries.